Sunday, April 27, 2008

Happy


Story time! My family has a dog. She is a purebred Maltese, weighs about 6 pounds and is absolutely adorable. We affectionately refer to her as "our little floor mop". Her real name, however, is Happy. Happy recently went, quite reluctantly, to the groomer's. We like to keep her hair short, but this time it was cut a little too short. When they trimmed the hair on her face they completely shaved off her whiskers (which is not good, it irritates the dog). Our theory is that one of them became infected because she developed a sore on her face. It wouldn't have been too bad but she kept scratching at it. It became worse and worse, her poor little cheek was all bloody. So we did what any loving owners would do, humiliated her and stripped her of all her dignity. She is now our little cone-headed floor mop. She hates it and your heart just melts when she stares up at you with those big sad eyes. But I will admit, it is quite entertaining. It took her quite a while to realize the limitations that were now set on her. Just a few days ago I walked into the kitchen to find Happy trying her hardest to get through the doggy door that leads to the backyard. The poor little thing was turning her head every way possible to try to fit through that door. As sad as it was, I couldn't help but laugh.

4 comments:

Amy Niebuhr said...

Amy is signed on but this is from Faye.

Poor Happy. He reminds me of our dog we got from the pound. He was so hairy and dirty we thought he was just an old mut. After we took him to the groomers, he turned out to be a white poodle. CRAZY!!! I don't think his previous owners ever gave him a haircut. We were happy to have him for a few short years until another dog killed him. SO SAD. He was Jordan's dog but because I rescued him from the pound he followed me everywhere. Drove me crazy but I loved him.

I'm glad to see Ali has another bee in her bonnet for getting you to blog. We must be careful how much praise we give her. She will get the big head. (Hee Hee). Can't wait to see you.

Jeanne said...

Poor little Happy. That's aweful for her but you're right it's great entertainment for us humans. hehe. Saw your link at Ali's and thought I stop by and check out your blog. Looks fun.

Cynthia said...

Hi, I cam eover form Ali's blog. Happy looks too funny. My kids raise Maltese pups, also and I feel pretty sorry for her having her whiskers shaved off!

I cut our dogs hair, so they never look pretty, but they seem happy!

Unknown said...

Seriously, I am laughing and crying right now...that poor little floor mop!